REGULAR MEETING AGENDA
THURSDAY, December 4, 2014, 7:00 p.m.
KAILUA RECREATION CENTER, 21 SOUTH KAINALU DRIVE
Olelo Broadcast: Digital Channel 49, and Channel 54, see weekly listings.
Visit: www1.honolulu.gov/nco for more information from the Kailua Neighborhood Board.
(Board member Christmas pûpû party 6:15 p.m. to 7:00 pm.)
- CALL TO ORDER. Chair Chuck Prentiss.
- Applications available from Neighborhood Commission office for candidates for upcoming Neighborhood Board elections.
III. PUBLIC AGENCIES.
- Honolulu Police Department.
- Honolulu Fire Department.
- Marine Corps Base Hawaii.
- Mayor Kirk Caldwell’s Representative.
- Governor Neil Abercrombie’s Representative.
- RESIDENT AND COMMUNITY CONCERNS (Three (3) minutes each).
(Please sign in at meeting, or email Chair Chuck Prentiss at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- ELECTED OFFICIALS (Three (3) minutes each).
- Representative Ken Ito.
- Representative Cynthia Thielen.
- Representative Chris Lee.
- Councilmember Ikaika Anderson.
- Senator Jill Tokuda.
- Senator Laura Thielen.
- PRESENTATIONS (Ten minutes each).
- City and County of Honolulu Office of Housing. Mayor’s homeless program.
- Update on Kailua Regional Waste Water Treatment Plant improvement.
VII. BOARD MOTIONS.
Motion 1. The Kailua Neighborhood Board No. 31 requests the City to keep Kalama Beach Park including the parking lot and comfort station open until 7:00 p.m. during the six winter months and 8:00 p.m. during the six summer months.
Motion 2. The Kailua Neighborhood Board will recess in January 2015.
Motion 3. Kailua Neighborhood Board No. 31 endorses exploration of the concept to use a “land marina” as a cost effective solution to help address Hawaii’s homeless issue.
VIII. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Minutes of November 6, 2014.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS.
- Parks and Recreation Committee – Chair, Jon Chinen
- Bill 58(2014)-This Bill seeks to create an Adopt-a-Park program for the City. The bill awaits a hearing by the Parks and Customer Services Committee after passing First Reading. The Committee has not scheduled a hearing.
Recess-The Committee will recess in December 2014.
- Transportation and Public Works – Chair, William Hicks
- It was reported that “no parking” signs have been removed from where the sand pile used to be across from Kailua Beach Park and Buzz’. The committee will ask DTS about the status of this.
- A Kailua resident, Rob Robinson, had reported that there is a sharp, blind curve on Kawailoa Road (the main road between Kalapawai Market and the bridge to Lanikai) directly across from the canal where there is inadequate space for pedestrians or bicyclists due to a property fence which is very close to the edge of the road. Mr. Robinson said he has observed on several occasions a pedestrian, jogger, or a bicyclist who have very nearly been hit by passing cars. A proper bikeway or sidewalk is needed on that side of the street. Bill Hicks went to investigate this problem with the intent of walking to this area, but upon viewing it from his vehicle decided it was too dangerous to walk there. Michael Espenan, who lives in Lanikai, said he has very nearly hit more than one pedestrian at that spot. It appears as though either the property owner has placed a fence on what should be right of way space for an unimproved sidewalk, or possibly DTS has widened the road on what used to be the right of way space. The committee will report this problem to DTS.
- The traffic situation in Lanikai was discussed. Lanikai residents Susan Cummings, Neil Frazer, and Michael Espenan have expressed the opinion that there should be strict enforcement of all parking codes in Lanikai (i.e. no parking on unimproved sidewalks; only parking on the street pavement of the cross streets). Such enforcement could eventually allow a pedestrian pathway.
- Copies of a draft DTS proposal to modify the Kalapawai Market triangle traffic pattern were provided by Lanikai residents Michelle Pillen and John Foti. The committee has not yet discussed this directly with DTS. The draft proposal resembles a modified three sided traffic circle, with one-way traffic on all three legs. There is no provision for a traffic or pedestrian signal. The KNB is on record as supporting modifications to the traffic pattern to enhance egress from Lanikai, including the introduction of traffic and pedestrian signals. The committee will request that DTS provide an update of the status of plans to the committee at the January meeting.
Recess- The committee will recess in December 2014.
- Government and Community Services – Chair, Matthew Darnell
- Legislative Issues.
- BILL 57 (2014) – Relating to Real Property Tax Home Exemption.
- Resolution 14-271 – Procurement Preference for Small, Woman Owned, Disadvantaged, Service-Disabled Veteran Owned, and Hubzone Certified Businesses.
- Bill 60 (2014) – Naming of Parks, Sites, and Facilities.
Recess- The Committee will recess in December 2014.
- Planning, Zoning & Environment – Chair, Donna Wong
- City and County Department of Wastewater Management. Kailua Regional Waste Water Treatment Plant (KRWWTP) odor control project.
- Kawainui-Hamakua Marsh Master Plan.
- Koolaupoko Sustainable Communities Plan.
- B&B and TVU enforcement.
Next meeting is third Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m., Kalama Beach Park.
- Public Safety, Public Health, and Civil Defense (PHPSCD) – Chair, Claudine Tomasa.
- The committee discussed Ebola Virus and its impact upon Hawaii. Board member Locchricio will coordinate a public information session in Kailua- co sponsored by the Maunawili Association and the Windward Coalition. Details are forthcoming.
- Community Preparedness Activities:
- Public education and training sessions are being scheduled for the Kailua community –the 4th Wednesdays of each month, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., starting January till June 2015 at the Kailua Recreation Center; Details are forthcoming via posting on the City’s Neighborhood Commission Website and local media.
- No CERT classes scheduled for month of December.
- Kailua NB’s Disaster Preparedness Sub Committee is working with other community groups to discuss and explore legislative proposals that support resilient communities.
Recess- The PHPSCD Committee will recess in December 2014.
- Treasurer’s Report. Claudine Tomasa.
- A mailing list is maintained for interested persons and agencies to receive the Board’s agenda and minutes. Additions, corrections, and deletions to the mailing list may be directed to the Neighborhood Commission Office, Honolulu Hale, 530 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96813; Telephone (808) 768-3710 or FAX (808) 768-3711; call Neighborhood Assistant Rise` Doi 768-3710 or e-mail – email@example.com. Agendas and minutes are also available online at http://www1.honolulu.gov/nco;
- Any individual wishing to attend a Neighborhood Board meeting who has questions about accommodations for a physical disability or special physical need should call the NCO at 768-3710 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. at least 24-hours before the scheduled meeting.
December Committee Meetings
PUBLIC SAFETY, PUBLIC HEALTH, AND CIVIL DEFENSE (PHPSCD) COMMITTEE:
Recess in December 2014. Chair: Claudine Tomasa, firstname.lastname@example.org. Cell 783-5396. Members: Bill Hicks, Gary Weller, Malina Kaulukukui.
TRANSPORTATION AND PUBLIC WORKS COMMITTEE:
Recess in December 2014. Bill Hicks, Chair. email@example.com. Members: Tony Locricchio, Claudine Tomasa, and Gary Weller.
GOVERNMENT AND COMMUNITY SERVICES COMMITTEE:
Recess in December 2014. Matthew Darnell, Chair. Members: Jon Chinen, Tim Freeman.
PLANNING, ZONING AND ENVIRONMENT COMMITTEE:
Third Tuesday, December 16, 2014, Kalama Beach Park, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Donna Wong, Chair. Members: Larry Bartley, Douglas Dudevoir, Skip Byron, Gary Weller, Chuck Prentiss, Levani Lipton, Vern Hinsvark. Ex-officio (non-voting): Stann Reiziss.
- Call to order.
- Approval of minutes.
- Koolaupoko Sustainable Communities Plan Revision.
- General Plan 2011.
- Kawainui-Hamakua Complex Master Plan.
- Kapa`a Industrial Park.
- Proposed development above Kailua Bluffs.
- Short-term Vacation Rentals.
- New business.
Parks & recreation committee
Recess in December 2014. Jon Chinen, Chair firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: 753-6783. Members: Larry Bartley, Tim Freeman.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE: Recess in December 2014. Board Officers.