Kailua Neighborhood Board REGULAR MEETING AGENDA
THURSDAY, JULY 3, 2014, 7:00 p.m.
KAILUA RECREATION CENTER, 21 SOUTH KAINALU DRIVE
I. CALL TO ORDER. Chair Pro Tem Chuck Prentiss.
II. ELECTION OF OFFICERS: Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer
1. Mid-Pacific Road Runners Club 4.4 mile Kailua Beach Park run Sunday, July 13, 2014.
IV. PUBLIC AGENCIES.
A. Honolulu Fire Department.
B. Honolulu Police Department.
C. Marine Corps Base Hawaii.
D. Mayor Kirk Caldwell’s Representative.
E. Governor Neil Abercrombie’s Representative.
V. RESIDENT AND COMMUNITY CONCERNS (Three (3) minutes each).
(Please sign in at meeting, or email Chairperson Chuck Prentiss at email@example.com).
VI. UNFINISHED BUSINESS.
A. Kawainui-Hamakua Marsh Master plan. Discussion. Board’s comments attached.
VII. PRESENTATION (10 minutes)
A. City and County Department of Wastewater Management. Kailua Regional Waste Water Treatment Plant (KRWWTP) odor control project.
VIII. ELECTED OFFICIALS (Three (3) minutes each).
A. Representative Chris Lee.
B. Councilmember Ikaika Anderson.
C. Senator Jill Tokuda.
D. Senator Laura Thielen.
E. Representative Ken Ito.
F. Representative Cynthia Thielen.
IX. BOARD MOTIONS
1. The KNB opposes Bill 17 that removes The Department of Planning and Permitting’s ability to make rules regarding shoreline setbacks and removes provision for government agencies to remove minor structures that cause erosion or impact public access.
2. The KNB supports Bill 34 that addresses a regulatory gap in enforcement of the Honolulu grading ordinance for State of Hawaii Soil and Water Conservation District cooperators. Helps ensure that illegal dumping on soil and water conservation district land, which is not currently enforced by any entity is enforced.
3. The KNB supports Bill 35 that will help protect agricultural land from contaminants that could impact productivity of the soil.
4. The KNB supports Bill 37 that increases the fine amount for illegal dumping as a deterrent and for the safety, health and welfare of residents, streams, the land and ocean.
5. That the Kailua Neighborhood Board write a letter of support to the State of Hawaii, Department of Transportation requesting that an appropriate traffic light be installed at the intersection of Ulupii St. and Kalanianaole Hwy.
X. APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Minutes of June 5, 2014.
XI. COMMITTEE REPORTS.
A. Parks and Recreation Committee – Chair, Jon Chinen
1. Bill 24(2014)-Camping fees for City Parks. The Bill passed third reading at the City Council by a unanimous vote. The bill addresses a gap in the camping fees by adding a category to accommodate groups that are barely over 100 persons, but significantly under the next highest category of 250 persons. The Mayor has until June 23 to sign, veto, or pass the bill without his signature.
2. Kailua Beach Park Comfort Station-The Committee is aware of the news reports regarding the state of the comfort station on the Kailua side of Kaelepulu Stream, and has asked the Mayor’s representative to update the Board during a future Mayor’s Report. The Committee is concerned about where the City is on the timeline to replace the comfort station, and if the funds allocated for design lapsed with the close of the last Fiscal Year.
Next meeting Third Thursday, July 17 at 7:00 p.m. at Kailua District Park Arts & Crafts Room
B. Public Safety, Public Health, and Civil Defense (PHPSCD) – Chair, Claudine Tomasa.
1. REMINDER: Kailua Neighborhood Board’s Associate get-together: August 7, 2014, 6:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m., Kailua Recreation Center Multipurpose Room. Light refreshment sign-up list will be circulated.
2. Civil Defense
a. Report: Kailua Disaster Preparedness Sub Committee
- Discussion: KNB’s participation: Emergency Preparedness Town Fair; September 27, 2014, 10:00a.m. – 1:00 p.m., Whole Food Market Parking Lot.
b. Report: Kailua CERT (KCERT)
- Kailua CERT Coordinator – Leslie Kahihikolo. Overall Coordinator for Windward District – Clem Jung.
- KCERT Activities promoting readiness:
1. Functional Exercises to update and learn new skills for rescue
2. Educational Outreach for the community
3. Working on a Kailua’s Disaster Response Plan
4. CERT Team meets the third Tuesday of each month. Call Leslie at 728-7991 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
c. New CERT classes are scheduled Sundays August 17 and 24, 2014; 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the City & County of Honolulu Frank Fasi Building/DEM EOC, and August 31, 2014 at Battery Harlow/Diamond Head.For more information call Jeff Spencer 723-8960 or email email@example.com
Next meeting is second Thursday, July 10, 2014, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. @ Kailua Recreation Center. Call Claudine 782-5396 for exact room.
C. Government and Community Services – Chair, Matthew Darnell
1. Homeless problem.
Next meeting is second Thursday, July 10, 2014, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Kalama Beach Park.
D. Planning, Zoning & Environment – Chair, Donna Wong
1. No report.
Next meeting is third Tuesday, July 15, 2014, 7:00-9:00 p.m., Kalama Beach Park.
E. Transportation and Public Works – Chair, William Hicks
1. No report.
Next meeting second Thursday, July 10, 2014, 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. @ Kailua Recreation Center.
F. Treasurer’s Report. Claudine Tomasa.
G. Chair’s Report:
1. Committee agendas due to Chair by Saturday, July 26, 2014.